Move More, Eat Healthy Campaign
The Move More, Eat Healthy La Habra Campaign recognizes that healthy eating and regular physical activity are key ingredients to good health at any age. They may lower your risk for heart disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancer and other chronic diseases. Our goal is to create a healthy La Habra where all residents have opportunities to be physically active, access to reliable nutrition education and healthy, affordable foods where all residents can prosper.
Actions You and Your Family Can Take
- Rethink Your Drink
- Choose more water, low-fat milk, nonfat milk or unsweetened iced tea over sugar sweetened beverages.
- Ask your schools to offer healthier drink options and encourage athletic programs to offer water.
- Ask your employer to provide healthier drink options such as water and nonsweetened iced tea in their cafeteria, at meetings and in vending machines.
- Read the label
- Read nutrition labels to make healthier choices and practice portion control. Check for calories, servings per container, sodium, fat, sugar, artificial sweeteners and artificial flavors in food and drinks.
- Use the Choose My Plate website to learn about portion control and healthy eating. Use the SuperTracker tool to track personal nutrition and physical activity goals.
- Physical Activity
- Walk or ride your bike to work or school when possible and use designated bike paths.
- Children are encouraged to strive to achieve 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per day and adults are encouraged to strive for 150 minutes per week or 30 minutes 5 times a week.
- Mix up your physical activity and engage in activities you enjoy promoting lifelong healthy habits.
- Some physical activity is better than none; most benefits are derived from more frequent and higher intensity activities.